|The 2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid.|
For those of us who are apartment dwellers, a plug-in is less practical. We are unlikely to have 240-volt chargers in our garage---or a garage, for that matter. Running an extension cord from your apartment is likely to get you evicted, or at the very least, your extension cord stolen. And that's why Ford makes a non-plug-in version as well, which is what we drove.
|2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid badging.|
|2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid regenerative braking gauge.|
It may not have the extended pure electric range of the Energi, but once that's gone, the Fusion Hybrid and the Energi return the exact same EPA-estimated 43 miles per gallon in the city and 41 on the highway.
|2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid instrument panel.|
Our test vehicle was the SE. Base price $26,840, with automatic halogen headlamps, intermittent wipers, power front seats, dual-zone electronic climate control, active noise cancellation, hill start assist, remote keyless entry, push-button start, a rear view camera, 17-inch wheels and a nine-speaker audio system with SiriusXM Satellite Radio all standard.
That is an extremely reasonable price for a very well-equipped car, but as usual, our test vehicle had options:
- The SE Hybrid Luxury Package: Memory driver's 10-way power seat, leather-trimmed seats, heated front seats, an auto-dimming rearview mirror, bright exterior window and door trim moldings, body-colored door handles with chrome inserts, intelligent access with remote start, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, LED fog lamps with chrome bezel, LED headlamps and taillamps, upgraded heated sideview mirrors, with memory, turn indicators, auto-dimming on the driver's side and security approach lamps and warm interior accents. $2,995.
- Burgundy Velvet paint. $395.
- Upgraded 17-inch premium wheels, bundled with a reverse sensing system and the SYNC 3 infotainment suite. $995.
- Enhanced active park assist. $995.
- Adaptive cruise with stop and go. $1,190.
- Driver assist package with lane keeping system, blind spot information system and cross-traffic alert. $1,575.
All that brought the total, with $875 destination and delivery charges, to an even $35,500. But Ford has an immediate $490 Sync and Sound discount and another $500 SE Tech discount, which resulted in an as-tested price of $34,510.
If you are looking for a family sedan with tremendous fuel economy, it is hard to do better than the Fusion Hybrid.