6.16.2020

The Answer Is Always Miata: The 2020 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club

Front 3/4 view of 2020 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club
2020 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club.
"I want a convertible."
"I want a sports car."
"I want a car that gets great mileage."
"I want a car for track day."
"I want a reliable car."
"I want an affordable car."
"I want a car I'll love driving every day."

I'm by no means the first to say it, but the answer is always Miata.  For 30 years, Mazda has been making the old-fashioned sports car for the modern world.  In its fourth generation now, the Mazda MX-5 Miata is in a class by itself.



Michael Hagerty with 2014 Mazda Miata
Miata and me, January 2014.
When Mrs. TireKicker and I were beginning our lives together six years ago, a 2014 Mazda Miata Club wound up in my driveway for a week.  It was her first ride in one.  At the end of it, she turned to me, smiled and said "You're gonna need one of these someday, aren't you?"

The answer is yes.  The answer is always Miata.  Ask my neighbor Phil. He has TWO Porsche 911s, but a few months ago, bought a gently used Miata.  He loves it.

Rear 3/4 view of 2020 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club

All that brings us to the 2020 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club which simply makes it harder to say no.  All 2020 Miatas have a significant power boost carried over from 2019---from 155 horsepower in the 2016-2018 models to 181 horsepower now.

Hood up on 2020 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club

Engine in 2020 Mazda MX-5 Miata

Engine detail in 2020 Mazda MX-5 Miata

That's 15 horsepower more than the Fiat 124 Spider, which, apart from arguably more attractive bodywork and a Fiat engine, is identical to, but heavier than, the Miata.  You can feel the difference. Advantage Miata.

And oh, dear Lord, the joys of flinging this light, tight little roadster along winding Sierra foothill roads.  The car behaves like an extension of not just your hands, but your brain.  Telepathically connected---think what you want to do and magically it happens. 

Wheel detail on 2020 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club

Interior view of 2020 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club

Front seats in 2020 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club

Base price for the 2020 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club is $31,235 and because of a virtually illegible window sticker, both in paper and .pdf form, I'll send you to Mazda's website for a rundown of what comes standard at that price.

Instrument panel in 2020 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club

Gauge cluster in 2020 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club

Seats/cupholders in 2020 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club

Infotainment and HVAC in 2020 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club

Console in 2020 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club

Squinting at the window sticker, the extra-cost options on our tester were the Machine Gray paint and the Brembo BBS Recaro Package, which gets you Brembo front brakes with red front and rear calipers, BBS forged dark alloy wheels and Recaro sport seats.

Front view of 2020 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club

Side view of 2020 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club

Rear view of 2020 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club

With $995 delivery, processing and handling fee, the bottom line comes to $36,955, according to Mazda's online build tool.  You can spend a lot more and have a lot less fun.

And Honey, if you're reading this...yeah, I am gonna need one.