1.08.2009

Bob Golfen on Speed



(Oh, sure, Bob...like you thought I could pass up that headline.)

A TireKicker tip of the hat to Bob Golfen, newly appointed Automotive Editor at speedtv.com.

11 and a half years ago, when I was a television reporter and the station I worked for needed new segments to fill their expanding newscasts, I decided it would be a great time to indulge my boyhood dream and become a professional TireKicker. I just had no idea how to start. So I called Bob (who'd been writing automotive reviews and other stories at The Arizona Republic for 9 years at that point) and asked for one...just one...name and phone number of a press person at an automobile manufacturer.

Bob spent the next 20 minutes on the phone reading me his entire Rolodex. And he's been supportive as I've evolved from rookie to veteran, from TV to radio to online. It's fair to say TireKicker might not be here if it hadn't been for his encouragement and generosity in the late summer of 1997. Thanks again, Bob.

His first piece for Speed posted yesterday and is a great read: http://automotive.speedtv.com/article/golfen-automotive-enthusiasm-remains-alive-and-thriving/